Pink Elephant

The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the ITIL Galaxy and Beyond
Don't Panic

Home

Author

Troy Dumoulin Photo

Troy DuMoulin, VP, Research, Innovation & Product Development

Troy is a leading ITIL® and IT governance authority with a solid and rich background in Executive IT Management consulting. Troy holds the ITIL Service Manager and Expert certifications and has extensive experience in leading IT Service Management (ITSM) programs with a regional and global scope.

He is a frequent speaker at IT Management events and is a contributing author to multiple ITSM and Lean IT books, papers and official ITIL publications including ITIL’s Planning To Implement IT Service Management and Continual Service Improvement.

The Guide

"This blog is dedicated to making sense out of the shifting landscape of IT Management. Just when we thought we had a good handle on managing technology, the job we thought we knew is being threatened by strange acronym’s like ITIL, CMMI, COBIT, ect.. Suddenly the rules have changed and we are not sure why. The goal of this blog is to offer an element of sanity and logic to what can appear to be chaos."

Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy

"In many of the more relaxed civilizations on the Outer Eastern Rim of the Galaxy, the Hitch Hiker’s Guide has already supplanted the great Encyclopedia Galactic as the standard repository of all knowledge and wisdom, for though it has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least wildly inaccurate, it scores over the older more pedestrian work in two important respects.

First, it is slightly cheaper: and secondly it has the words DON’T PANIC inscribed in large friendly letters on its cover."
~Douglas Adams

Syndicate

Troy On Twitter

Recent Entries

Categories

Links

Other Blogs

Archive

IT Service Catalog Examples

Someone recently reminded me that it is always easier to edit than to create from scratch.

So in keeping with the release of our New Book on the importance of the IT Service Catalog I thought the readers of this blog might appreciate some links to examples available on the web.

However, before you go on to navigate the links in search of example service definitions I want to qualify that these links do not necessarily represent the best practices we discuss in our book. That being said they do provide you with a glimpse at some real organizations that are kind enough to put their cookies on the table for all to sample.

University of Santa Cruz

State of Maine

University Of Arizona

University Of Arizona Student Services

New Mexico Dept. Of IT

University of Alaska

Another Great Site for Service Catalog Examples: HEIT Management

I trust that you find these sites useful

Important Note: Pink has just released an exciting new Online Education Offering Service Catalog Implementation Overview. Receive practical guidance, an online version of our Service Catalog Book and useful templates.

Troy

I am rarely happier than when spending entire day programming my computer to perform automatically a task that it would otherwise take me a good ten seconds to do by hand. ~Douglas Adams

Posted by Troy DuMoulin on 02/27 at 02:15 AM
  1. Hey troy,

who would that “someone” be?  A little credit where credit is due.

wink

Hope all is well.

Anthony.

Posted by Anthony Nantes  on  03/01  at  03:52 AM
  2. PS:

I’d also add this one to the mix:

(From UC Santa Cruz)

Posted by Anthony Nantes  on  03/01  at  03:54 AM
  3. Quite Right Anthony

Folks I want to thank Anthony Nantes who is a Service Management Champion at the University of Melbourne for the gentle prod to post these links.

Cheers

Troy

Posted by Troy DuMoulin  on  03/01  at  10:29 AM
  4. Note that it’s “Purdue” University… smile
    at least it’s spelled that way on *my* diploma. wink

Posted by Dave Pickens  on  03/28  at  07:11 PM
  5. Thanks for the catch Dave

I have updated the post

Best Regards

Troy

Posted by Troy DuMoulin  on  03/30  at  12:58 PM
  6. Troy,

From an ITIL Service Manager newbie, thank-you for the links they have come in handy.

Julian

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  04/07  at  11:55 AM
  7. Thanks Troy.
    That was a very useful post.

I am currently working on formalizing the IT Architecture of a client and plan to build the framework around views of the Service Catalogs.

So these references were just the thing I needed.

Best regards
    Gautam Sarnaik

Posted by Gautam  on  04/15  at  06:59 AM
  8. I’ve been collecting these URLs on my delicious links:
    As of this posting, there are about two dozen on the list.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  11/26  at  04:04 PM
  9. Great blog - Also thought you should know the following three links go to page not found:

University of New South Wales

Griffith University

Kentucky Commonwealth

Posted by R.L. Spuler  on  07/20  at  04:23 PM
  10. Thanks RL for the notice, can you imagine that they would not let me know of the website updates. smile

Looks like Griffith has put their service catalog behind an internal portal and the other two site have updated their page address which I have adjusted.

Cheers

Troy

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  07/20  at  09:48 PM
  11. Hey, thanks Troy. These are some handy links for sure. You are always on top of it.

Posted by Tony  on  01/24  at  10:09 PM
  12. Can someone please share the reasons for tracking Service Versions in the Service Portfolio?  Today we have ‘active’ and ‘retired’, but it would seem valuable to actually track a version number.  Thanks.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  03/15  at  12:05 PM
  13. Hello Paul

In my perspective a Service and its level of detail grows throughout its lifecycle.

A service starts with a a definition of requirement, and the outcomes that it will provide in support of a business goal. (directly or indirectly)

This is sometimes fleshed out in a business case or ROI evaluation. Both of these sources move forward to flesh out the Service Design Package. (A detailed understanding of the functional and warranty elements of the service).

These are reflected as attributes in the Service Portfolio. I would think that you will want to have a version attribute for all services along with a Status Attribute describing its state. (Approved, Development, Active, Retire)

Both would be needed from my perspective.

Troy

Posted by Troy DuMoulin  on  03/17  at  09:39 PM
  14. Hello Troy,

Bought (and read!) your book, Defining IT Success Through The Service Catalog: A Practical Guide. Congratulations on that book, it really provides for a lot of practical information, and has certainly helped us.

Now I am looking for a couple of examples for setting up our own Service Catalog. The above list really helps with that, but as we’re an MSP targeted at SMBs we’re also looking for a couple of examples of Service Catalogs that are more suitable for SMBs.

Do you think you (or anyone) might have some tips or links for us?

Thanks in advance, best regards,
    Rene Verhagen

Posted by Rene Verhagen  on  02/20  at  10:50 AM
  15. Hello Rene

These are the links that I and others have collected over time but there are more being added to the web all the time. Most are from Higher Education of Government Agencies which operate under a full disclosure.

I am not aware of an example of an MSP catalog but doing a quick search on that concept I googled a couple such as this one from Amdocs http://bit.ly/1eXgSey

Troy

Posted by Troy DuMoulin  on  02/20  at  11:00 AM
  16. Page 1 of 1 pages

Name:

Email:

Location:

URL:

Smileys

Remember my personal information

Notify me of follow-up comments?

Please answer the question asked below:

A, B, C, D, E, _, G, H. What letter is missing?